MISS anything in the past week? Don’t worry here’s the complete SBF wrap-up from the biggest stories in sports from the last 7 days.
IF you like what you read be sure to check out more SportsbyFry articles by hitting this link. Make sure you keep up to date with the latest What We Learned Last Week articles and follow our fan pages on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram to never miss a minute of the action!
- FOR the second straight season Alabama sits atop the AP top 25 on the eve of the season. The 16-time college football champs and last year’s finalists are the favourites to claim the national title, with Ohio State (#2), Florida State (#3) and USC (#4) also in the mix.
- ALTHOUGH the injury isn’t serious there are still reports that Odell Beckham could miss a week or two of the regular season. The New York Giants superstar tweaked his ankle against the Browns in Week 2 of preseason action and although x-rays were negative the Giants are taking the cautious approach with Beckham.
- WE all know that Aaron Judge is setting records in his rookie season, but his most recent feat isn’t one he was aspiring to achieve. The Yankees slugger continued his awful second half of the season by setting the mark for consecutive games with a strikeout. After 37 straight games, he broke his streak on Tuesday night and will look to recapture the form that saw him star in the first half of the year.
- THE biggest NBA news from last week broke less than 24 hours ago with the Cavaliers granting Kyrie Irving’s trade request. The 4x All-Star will make his way to Boston and in exchange, the Celtics will send Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and the Nets unprotected 2018 1st round pick to Ohio.
- THEY were missing Ronaldo, but Real Madrid had no issues en route to winning the Spanish Super Cup last week. The hero for Madrid was Marco Asensio as he scored a stunning goal to put them up 1-0 before Benzema’s strike doubled the lead giving them a 5-1 win on aggregate over Barcelona.
- WAYNE Rooney continued his goal scoring ways in the EPL with his second straight goal in as many weeks for Everton. It helped them to snatch a 1-1 draw against Manchester City and gave Rooney his 200th Premier League goal. He is the second such player to reach that milestone. Man U were the other big winners on the weekend running out to a 4-0 thrashing of Swansea.
Image from 101greatgoals.com
- THE tumultuous timeline of Jon Jones continued this week after Jones was stripped of his light heavyweight title for testing positive to steroids at UFC 214. It comes after a slew of incidents in the past for Jones and taints his legacy even further, which is a shame because Jones was on the fast track to becoming the greatest UFC fighter in history.
- THE second last round of AFL for the season provided us with plenty of entertaining headlines, none bigger than the Friday night thriller between the Swans and Crows. Sydney was able to get over the line by 3 points as their premiership odds continue to drop.
- AT the Cincinnati Open Grigor Dimitrov was able to overcome the fiery Aussie Nick Kyrgious to claim a straight sets victory in the final. After Kyrgios toppled new world No. 1 Rafael Nadal on his way to the final, many expected him to take out the title, but Dimitrov had other ideas.
Image from thewest.com.au
- KEVIN Durant has gone on the record and said if the Warriors are invited to the White House he won’t be attending. The 2017 Finals MVP explained his reasoning by saying he does not “respect who’s in office right now.”
- IN his home debut for PSG Neymar was all sorts of dominant for the French Ligue 1 side. He was able to score twice, set up two others and produce an incredible highlight, illustrating the fact that he is worth every single penny PSG spent to get him.