MISS anything in the past week? Don’t worry here’s the complete SBF wrap-up from the biggest stories in sports from the last 7 days.
IF you like what you read be sure to check out more SportsbyFry articles by hitting this link. Make sure you keep up to date with the latest What We Learned Last Week articles and follow our fan pages on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram to never miss a minute of the action!
- THE UFC comeback for Ronda Rousey is apparently a 50-50 chance according to her coach. She may be shooting for the stars, but Rousey is apparently eyeing a bout against Cris Cyborg for her return to MMA.
- ON the eve of the Giants epic clash against Richmond they were boosted by another star resigning with the club. Despite North Melbourne throwing money at Josh Kelly put pen to paper to stay at GWS for another two years.
- SERENA Williams has shared photos of her new daughter to the world and given her new child a name. Alexis (the same name as the father) Olympia Ohanian Jr already has more Instagram followers than you will likely ever have as well with over 35,000 followers already.
- FOR the first time in her career, Sylvia Fowles is a league MVP. The 4x All-Star (’09, ’11, ’13 & ’17), 3x Defensive Player of the Year (’11, ’13 &’16) and 2015 Finals MVP averaged 18.9 PPG and 10.4 RPG this season for the 27-7 Minnesota Lynx on the verge of claiming the franchises 4th WNBA title.
- PORT Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley will be staying with the club for an extra three seasons after signing a contract extension this week. Hinkley was strongly linked to joining the Gold Coast Suns, but the new deal means they won’t poach the Power top dog.
- ANTONIO Gates set an NFL record against the Miami Dolphins over the weekend. Gates caught his 112th touchdown in the third quarter breaking a tie with Tony Gonzalez for the most touchdown receptions by a tight end in NFL history.
- THE Broncos dominant defense was on full display against the Cowboys on Sunday, as they blitzed the Cowboys in their 42-17 win. Ezekiel Elliott had his worst game of his career chalking up just eight yards from nine carries.
- OAKLAND Raiders fans were hype when they saw Marshawn Lynch dancing on the sidelines during their 45-20 victory at home. New York Jets players were NOT happy though with Lynch’s dancing through with linebacker Jordan Jenkins voicing his dissatisfaction with Lynch’s actions on the sidelines.
- THE Houston Astros became the fourth team to clinch a playoff spot by securing the AL West division banner over the weekend. A 7-1 win over the Seattle Mariners led by Justin Verlander’s 10 K performance gives the Astros their first division banner since 2001 and their seventh overall.
- NEWCASTLE Unite, Southampton, Bournemouth, Man City and Man United were all winners over the weekend. City where the real winners on the weekend, leapfrogging Man U for the top spot on the table after their 6-0 win over Watford. United tried their best to stay on top with a 4-0 win over Everton, but remain in second place. Newcastle United’s third straight win saw them move into fourth place on the table
- USC, Clemson, Memphis and Florida all picked up big, drama filled wins in Week 3 of College Football. The Trojans Chase McGrath kicked a field goal to tie the game at the end of regulation before nailing the game winner in double OT for the Trojans, while Clemson shut down Lamar Jackson to get a crucial win over No. 14 Louisville. No. 25 UCLA was upset by the Memphis Tigers in a high-scoring affair and the Gators stunned 23rd ranked Tennessee with a hail mary on the final play of the game to emerge 26-20 winners.
- WITH just two games of AFL finals action on the weekend, most football fans weren’t treated to a high level of competition. The Cats and Giants cruised to easy wins over the Swans and Eagles respectively, with both games virtually over before the second half began.
- EVEN though we are just shy of a month away from NBA action, plenty of vets inked new deals to suit up in season 2017-18. Andrew Bogut (1yr/$2.3mil, Lakers), Mason Plumlee (3yrs/$41mil, Nuggets), Jason Terry (1yr/$2.3mil, Bucks), Jarrett Jack (1yr/$2.3mil, Knicks) and Josh Richardson (4yrs/$42mil, Heat) were the five guys to get new contracts in the past seven days with tipoff etching closer.
- TWENTY two wins in a row. That’s were the Cleveland Indians incredible winning streak was snapped last week at the hands of the Kansas City Royals. The 4-3 loss left them four wins shy of the all-time MLB record, but gave them the longest streak of victory in American League history.