NFL finally kicks off and the MLB playoffs are underway. What a time to be alive! The last seven days revealed plenty in the fantasy world and as we prepare for another week of ups and downs here’s what you need to know from the NFL and MLB.
IF you like what you read be sure to check out more SportsbyFry articles by hitting this link. Make sure you keep up to date with the latest Fantasy articles and follow our fan pages on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to never miss a minute of the action!
- GAME one is already in the books with Kansas City Chiefs getting a rare road win over the New England Patriots. Kareem Hunt (Chiefs, RB) was the star of the show chalking up an NFL record 246 yards from scrimmage in his pro debut, while Alex Smith (Chiefs, RB) threw 368 yards and four TD’s.
- EZEKIEL Elliott (Cowboys, RB) has had his six game suspension upheld by the league, but he may still suit up for Dallas against the Giants. Even though his absence is looming, if he is playing against New York he is a must start.
Image from si.com
- ZAY Jones (Buffalo, WR) has been added by over 20% of coaches in the build up to the Bills first game against the Ravens. Understandably Danny Amendola (Patriots, WR) and Rex Burkhead (Patriots, RB) are amongst the other most added players in the fantasy world.
INJURY NEWS – ODELL Beckham’s status remains up in the air for week one as he struggles to deal with an ankle injury. He isn’t the only wide receiver in doubt with Jamison Crowder battling a hip flexor in order to be ready for kickoff. In case you are playing in leagues with individual defensive players then take note that Myles Garrett isn’t going to be lining up for the Browns for his first NFL game this week.
- WITH five different Angels earned saves in August Blake Parker (Angels, RP) is now the at the top of the closing depth chart in LA. Before his blown save on Monday Parker had four straight saves without allowing a hit and walking just one batter.
- AFTER starting his career on fire Rafael Devers (Red Sox, 3B) finds himself benched by Boston. With a healthy starting infield, the rookie will likely be used in a part-time role from here on out minimising his fantasy value.
- SINCE Parker Birdwell’s (Angels, SP) last win on the 13th of August the Angels pitcher has had a pretty rough stretch. He has allowed 25 hits in his last four starts. Over that stretch, he has also given up 17 runs including 13 in the last six innings. As a result, he’s got to go.
- JOSE Ramirez (Indians, 3B/2B/OF) was the form player of the past week with five runs amidst Cleveland’s huge winning streak. Byron Buxton (Twins, OF) also continued his stellar second half of the season despite failing to hit in his last 13 at bats.
Image from lookoutlanding.com
INJURY NEWS – A hamstring injury has sidelined Adrian Beltre (Rangers, 3B/DH) making him the most dropped fantasy baseballer. The best first basemen in the league is also missing action right now with an elbow complaint. The injury has seen Paul Goldschmidt (Diamondbacks, 1B) miss the last four games. Jake Arrieta (Cubs, SP) has his own hamstring complaint that will keep him out of action for just over a week.