ANOTHER Friday means your weekly dose of fantasy guidance! The impending return of Fantasy Football mixed with more AFL and MLB news has all your needs covered.
IF you like what you read be sure to check out more SportsbyFry articles by hitting this link. Make sure you keep up to date with the latest Fantasy articles and follow our fan pages on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to never miss a minute of the action!
- OVER 50% of coaches were faced with the issue of Patrick Dangerfield being suspended for the Round 20 matchup against the Swans. To hold or trade is a decision that has divided the nation and personally I’m still undecided. Luke Hodge also copped a week’s suspension which could hurt some Draft teams.
- AS league finals begin the risk of players being rested/managed is alive and well. A handful of players fit the bill this week, with more to come in the following rounds no doubt, but none was more of a headline than Freo cash cow Sean Darcy. While he is only scheduled to miss a week, many coaches will have no ruck cover and therefore look to trade.
- THE most traded in player this week is none other than Lions skipper Dayne Beams after back to back scores over 140. Personally, I’m sceptical of bringing in the injury prone Beamer and therefore won’t be jumping on him, but at his price and given his form he is hard to ignore.
- LAST week we were dealt carnage throughout the round with popular choices injured or underperforming. Dangerfield, Laird, Selwood, Murphy, Merrett, Rockliff, Kennedy, Bontempelli and the usually reliable Tom Mitchell ALL failed to score in triple figures and scores around the ground reflected that.
- JUST a quick on Brett Deledio, who seemed like he wouldn’t get onto the field in 2017 will make his Giants debut this weekend and he could be a very handy Draft inclusion for finals bound teams
Image from thewest.com.au
P.Dangerfield > S.Sidebottom & S.Darcy > M.Gawn
AT this stage I think I’m cashing Dangerfield in and recruiting Sidebottom and Gawn into my side. JPK survives a week as he will be sitting on my pine, while Mountford gets a run on the field. Next week I’m planning on downgrading JPK to a rook and throwing all that $$$ on top of Mountford to bring in almost anyone in the comp (Treloar, Gibbs & Zorko are the most likely).
INJURY NEWS – POPULAR picks including Josh Kennedy (hamstring), Jarrod Witts (shoulder) and Connor Blakely (shoulder) find themselves out of their teams this week with injuries. The Swans mid and Suns ruckman may miss more than just one week, while Connor Blakely’s year is done and dusted. Other big names who are out injured include a hamstrung Jeremy Cameron and Jesse Hogan from Melbourne, who has a broken Collarbone. In better news, Nathan Jones and Gary Ablett are returning from injury just in time for finals for some coaches.
- REJOICE NFL fans, football is back! Well, sort of. The Arizona Cardinals and Dallas Cowboys played off in the HOF game in Canton with most of the starters and stars sitting.
- BLAKE Bortles is trying to shrug the moniker of being a failure under center this season, but he isn’t exactly off to the best start. The Jaguars quarterback reportedly threw five interception’s in training camp the other day which if you aren’t a football fan isn’t a good thing.
INJURY NEWS – AS we start to prepare for a month of preseason games there are a few fantasy relevant injuries that need to be known about. Will Fuller of the Texans busted his collarbone and will miss some time while the Miami Dolphins Tannehill, Sheppard, Mike Williams
Image from cowboyswire.usatoday.com
- IT isn’t very often that a game ends in a walk-off grand slam, but Steve Pearce of the Blue Jays did exactly that last week. Not once, but TWICE! with an ownership under 5% he might not feature in many fantasy teams, but his teammate Josh Donaldson does as he rewards owners who have held despite his struggles through the first half of the season.
- IN waiver wire news Cesar Hernandez (+9.3%, Phillies 2B) is one of the form players who feature in very few teams while Bradley Zimmer of the Cleveland Indians and the Red Sox rookie Rafael Devers sensation are two of the most added batters over the past week.
- OVER the past week as deadline day passed Yu Darvish was flicked to the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Yankees acquired Sonny Gray from Oakland. Gray struck out six and allowed four hits & two runs in 6.0 innings.
- THREE of the most dropped players last week were Troy Tulowitzki (Blue Jays SS), Chris Owings (Diamondbacks SS) and Avisail Garcia (White Sox, RF). The trio was understandably dropped though due to injuries with Justin Wilson (White Sox, RP) and Jose Reyes (Mets, 3B/SS).
Image from thestar.com
- THE Baltimore Orioles pitcher Kevin Gausman has been on fire lately reeling off three straight games of eight strikeouts that have all translated to wins. Obviously, that makes him one of the most added pitchers in the past week who Brad Hand (Padres) and Addison Reed (Red Sox) are out of their closing roles and therefore offer very little to no fantasy value anymore.
INJURY NEWS – COLORADO Rockies closer Greg Holland gave his owners a scare after cutting his finger in a kitchen accident, although he won’t miss any time. Nats ace Max Scherzer is still dealing with neck discomfort and owners are hoping he’ll still make his next start. Indians pitchers Mike Tomlin and Andrew Miller are both DL bound along with the Astros SP Lance McCullers Jr who has back discomfort. Sticking with Houston both George Springer and Carlos Correa are dealing with injuries that will keep them out along with the likes of Starlin Castro (Yankees 2B) and Trea Turner (Nationals, 2B/SS/OF) still hurt as well.