AS I continue to put more focus on AFL, this week’s Fantasy Friday includes the first instalment of AFL relevant news as we prepare for the last of the bye rounds. Along with your weekly MLB fix, this Friday doesn’t fail to deliver.
IF you like what you read be sure to check out more SportsbyFry articles by hitting this link. Make sure you keep up to date with the latest Fantasy articles and follow our fan pages on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram to never miss a minute of the action!
- IF my numbers are right then over thousands of coaches brought Scott Selwood into their teams last night. Fast forward and Selwood’s hamstring injury cut his Thursday night showing short. Fingers crossed this isn’t the start of a woeful weekend. Popular VC choice Patrick Dangerfield (116) put together a pretty good outing. I took the punt on Elliot Yeo however, so I’ll probably lock in Rocky for my C.
- OTHER popular trade targets this weekend included perhaps the only two real rookie downgrade choices Mackenzie Willis ($187K, DEF/MID) and Declan Mountford ($159K, MID). Plenty of coaches will be praying that the two of them can turn in decent scores or we all might be doomed.
Image from zimbio.com
- AS lockout nears for another weekend, don’t be sucked into making any drastic last minute changes just in order to field a full 18. As it is the last bye round only your best 18 scores count, but I myself only have 16 players on the park this weekend. You should be looking to offload players who have their bye (Andy Otten, Will Hoskin-Elliot, Nat Fyfe) and have either maxed out as cash cows or are underperforming, aiming for the traditional upgrade/downgrade strategy. One to go we can do it!
INJURY NEWS – THE only real fantasy relevant injuries are to players who msot good coaches wouldn’t even have in their teams. Darcy Cameron, a basement ruck rookie from Sydney who was sitting at R4 for most is out for the rest of the year after undergoing shoulder surgery and popular heartbeat choice over the byes Ed Vickers-Willis has suffered a knee injury sidelining him for roughly eight weeks. In good news those who own Rocky will take solace in knowing he is back at 100% after looking rather ginger last weekend. Nick Riewoldt is the only big name returning this week, coming back from his knee issues to the Saints squad.
Ed Vickers-Willis > Mackenzie Willis
Tim Taranto > Declan Mountford
David Myers > Scott Selwood
Image from geelongadvertiser.com.au
- AARON Judge is in serious WTF mode right now. The Yankees rook is in serious MVP consideration after last weekend crushing record breaking homer runs as the New York offense continues to fire. Currently sitting 2nd in batting average and RBI’s for the American League and owning more homers than anyone in the majors, could a triple crown be on the horizon?
- GOOD news story of the week time! Jameson Talion (Pirates) made his return to baseball, after successfully undergoing surgery for testicular cancer. He earned a W in his first start striking out five batters, resulting in a spike in his ownership. Jeff Hoffman (Rockies) and Edinson Volquez (Marlins) are the most added pitchers in the past seven days thanks to a rise in form. From a batters perspective Mailex Smith, who’s ownership was just 0.5% this time last week, has shot up the board after going 11/27 at the plate while Cameron Maybin ownership has more than doubled after his productive week, especially when it came to stealing bases (7 in the last 6 games).
- CUBS batting pair Addison Russell and Ben Zorbist have slid in ownership as they fluctuate in and out of the starting lineup for the defending world champs. Lucas Duda (Mets) also finds himself dropping in popularity. Pirates closer Tony Watson has been demoted from the role of closer on the back of some un-inspiring performances along with the Rockies starter Derrick Holland.
INJURY NEWS – OWNERS of Yoenis Cespedes will be stoked to learn he has returned from the DL and is back to his best. Injured Giants ace Madison Bumgarner threw off a mound as he continues his rehab back from a shoulder injury and Dallas Keuchel, who was in Cy Young form earlier in the season is still out with discomfort in his neck. Kyle Hendricks and Jonathan Villar are the biggest names placed on the 10-day DL alongside CC Sabathia who is hamstrung for roughly 4 weeks.