Miss anything in the past week? Don’t worry here’s the complete SBF wrap-up from the biggest stories in sports from the last 7 days.
IF you like what you read be sure to check out more SportsbyFry articles by hitting this link. Make sure you keep up to date with the latest What We Learned Last Week articles and follow our fan pages on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram to never miss a minute of the action!
THE Golden State Warriors are officially your 2017 NBA champs. If your realistic though then you will admit that we knew this day was coming ever since KD signed with the Warriors last July. The Cavs put up a fight though, winning Game 4 earlier in the week on their own floor in dominant fashion to avoid being swept, but it was to little avail.
MORE rumours are emerging surrounding the Lakers and who their choice for the #2 pick will be in next week’s NBA Draft. Ever since the Lakers were locked into the 2nd pick Lonzo Ball has been virtually a formality to be drafted in this slot, but the front office is apparently divided over Ball, with some in favour of taking De’Aaron Fox or Josh Jackson instead.
Image from pac-12.com
- NBA enthusiasts will now turn their attention to the Draft with plenty of potential franchise changers on offer. The Kings are rumoured to want to move up in order to obtain the services of De’Aaron Fox and have the pieces should they want to facilitate a deal.
- No news as of yet on the free agency front with Chris Paul, Gordon Hayward, Kyle Lowry and Blake Griffin the biggest names in this year’s pool of talent.
JULIAN Edelman and Melvin Ingram will be smiling this week after the pair signed contract extensions to tie them to the Patriots and Chargers respectively, at least for another few years. Edelman extended his current deal to stay with the Pats and their incredible receiving core beyond next season, while Ingram earned a few more dollars too. $66 million over the next four seasons to be exact!
Image from chargers.com
FORMER Kansas City Chief Jeremy Maclin isn’t on the market anymore either, after the Baltimore Ravens snapped him up on a two year deal. Receiver has never exactly been a strength of the Ravens, and I’m sure Joe Flacco will be relishing the opportunity to throw to perhaps the best receiver he’s had in Baltimore. The Raven’s may have Jimmy’s Seafood to thank, after the local business offered Maclin free crab cakes for life should he sign with the Ravens. Eat up Jeremy.
- ODELL Beckham has quickly squashed rumours that he held out of attending the teams voluntary OTA’s because of a contract holdout, stating that he would love to be a Giant for the rest of his life.
- LAST years SuperBowl champion New England Patriots received their championship rings earlier this week, with Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski taking to social media to show off their new bling.
THE longest home run hit since distance has officially recorded has been smashed by Aaron Judge. He had himself a serious week, hitting three home runs in three games, further etching himself into legit MVP contention.
HE may have been a few weeks behind Clayton Kershaw, but Max Scherzer has now joined the 2,000 strikeout club too. He reached the 2K make in the 3rd fewest innings ever pitched, striking out double digit batters for the fourth straight game.
- ELITE MLB draft prospects now have a home after the 1st round of the MLB Draft was held. The Minnesota Twins pulled off a somewhat surprising pick by taking SS Royce Lewis 1st overall, while the Reds quickly snapped up the top prospect in many peoples eyes, Hunter Greene
The Best Of The Rest
WE crowned new French Open champions over the weekend, both of whom have had very different career paths to the Roland Garros title. Jelena Ostapenko stunned the tennis world with the world #47 claiming a comeback win over new world #2 Simona Halep in three sets. The mens final also lasted three sets as Rafael Nadal made it 10 Roland Garros title in a straight sets whitewash W over Stan Wawrinka.
Image from newyorker.com
AFTER being released by Manchester United earlier in the week, Zlatan Ibrahimovic is now on his way to the LA Galaxy. The 35 year old was released by Man U as he overcomes a serious knee injury, but has since signed with the MLS squad. The move makes logical sense for Ibrahimovic as the MLS season starts much later than the Premier League, giving him time to rehab properly from his injury.
BACK-to-back titles were on the line for the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 6 against the Nashville Predators. They didn’t let the opportunity slip winning the Stanley Cup for the 2nd consecutive with Sidney Crosby claiming the Conn Smythe trophy (playoff MVP) honours, cementing his legacy as an all-time great.