FANTASY Friday provides you with the latest fantasy news for your league from the past seven days. Check back weekly to make sure you get a leg up over your peers with my guide to fantasy glory. All stats and opinions are based on ESPN fantasy league formats.
– ZACH LaVine has emerged as a fantasy stud this season and he has made another leap in the past seven days too. Coming off his 40 point outburst against Sacramento he has followed it up with 16, 21 and 17 points since then. Over those games he has made 18 of his 34 attempted three’s and is currently shooting a career best 40.8% from deep. If he can continue to score with regularity his owners will be very happy indeed.
– WITH Larry Nance out for a few weeks with a knee injury the Lakers have been using Luol Deng as a replacement. He has put up consistent numbers in the past two weeks providing constant source of point and rebounds from his 30+ minutes a night, making him a worthy waiver wire addition.
– AFTER starting the season as a fantasy darling, Tim Frazier has come back down to Earth in the past seven days. He was a healthy scratch against the Clippers and totaled just 13 minutes in his two games before that. With Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans healthy it’s time to move on.
INJURY NEWS – DIRK Nowitzki is back for a struggling Mavs team that just lost J.J. Barea for the second time this season to a major injury. J.R. Smith is expected to miss an even longer period of time now, with his thumb injury sidelining him for three to four months. Evan Turner has shaken off a recent ankle injury to return for Portland while Marco Belinelli of the Hornets is on the opposite side of the scale, with a niggling ankle problem sidelining him for the last three games.
Image from drulor.sportsblog.com
– PITTSTBURGH has already secured a position in the playoffs. Therefore they have announced that Antonio Brown, Ben Roethlisberger and Le’Veon Bell will all be rested this week against the Browns. Make the according adjustments if you own any of these three players. Take note of other teams who may also rest players if they have already snapped up a playoff spot.
– ONE last valuable piece of advice worth mentioning is that this week you should target players who have something to play for. Aaron Rodgers playing for a playoff spot, David Johnson aiming to be the 1st player to record 100+ yards from scrimmage in all 16 games of a season and Kirk Cousins potentially chalking up 5,000 yards for the year (370 short) are two examples of guys who will be airing it out boosting their numbers. Players like Matt McGloin (replacing Derek Carr) and Landry Jones (replacing Big Ben) have already secured playoff berths and are squaring off against teams who are out of the calculations for the post season. Do your research if you want to win your fantasy ‘SuperBowl’.
INJURY NEWS – THERE is a ton of injury news going into Week 17 with teams resting players and others calling it a season one week early. Derek Carr, Marcus Mariota, Lamar Miller, the three headed Steelers offensive monster (Roethlisberger, Brown & Bell), A.J. Green, Ryan Matthews, Doug Martin, Tyler Eifert, Carlos Hyde, T.J. Yeldon and Cameron Brate are the biggest names who are confirmed out this weekend. With the status of many others up in the air. As usual stay glued to the team sheets as they are revealed before kickoff.
Image from benchmarkrings.com