MISS anything in the past week? Don’t worry here’s the complete SBF wrap-up from the biggest stories in sports from the last 7 days.
IF you like what you read be sure to check out more SportsbyFry articles by hitting this link. Make sure you keep up to date with the latest What We Learned Last Week articles and follow my fan pages on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram to never miss a minute of the action!
- THE past week has seen the Cleveland Cavaliers yo-yo season continue as they try to make a run at a fourth straight Finals appearance. On Friday the Cavs went to Washington and beat the Wizards 130-122, with LeBron dropping a mammoth 57 points. A few nights later their defensive issues reared it’s head again as they lost at home 117-115 to the Atlanta Hawks who were 1-8 entering the game.
- LEBRON wasn’t the only player topping the box score last week with James Harden pouring in a new career high against the Jazz. Harden scored 56 points on just 25 shots finishing one point shy of the Rockets franchise record set by Calvin Murphy.
- ERIC Bledsoe finally had his wish granted as he was dealt to the Milwaukee Bucks. The Suns point guard has been shopped by the franchise ever since he tweeted out ‘I don’t want to be here’ a week into the NBA season. Greg Monroe, a protected 2018 first round pick and a protected second round pick are what the Bucks gave up in the trade.
- FOR the fourth time in his career, Rafael Nadal will end the year as the best male tennis player in the world. The King of Clay made it official with a win at the Paris Masters over Hyeon Chung in the second round. At 31, Nadal is the oldest player to finish as year end number one.
Image from thewest.com.au
- THE Heisman hopes of Baker Mayfield have improved after he threw for a Sooners school record 598 yards. His epic performance in Oklahoma’s 62-52 against arch-rivals Oklahoma State helped keep them in the mix for a College Football Playoff spot. It’s fair to say that Ohio State and Penn State will have their work cut out for them though with both teams suffering brutal losses that saw them free fall to 13th and 14th in the rankings respectively.
- UFC 217 on the weekend offered plenty of promise with three title bouts and headlining athletes taking center stage. We didn’t expect to see three new champs crowned though with Rose Namajunas upsetting the previously undefeated Joanna Jędrzejczyk, T.J. Dillashaw reclaiming the bantamweight title over Cody Garbrandt and Michael Bisping losing at the hands of George St-Pierre.
- GAME 7 set the stage for an epic match between the Houston Astros and Los Angeles Dodgers after a series that will never be forgotten. An early blitz by the Astros set up the epic win as they captured the franchises first title ever. Carlos Correa had himself a pretty good night proposing to his girlfriend during a postgame TV interview, and you’ll be happy to know she said yes.
- OF course, with the city of Houston in full party mode, the championship parade was epic with fans taking to the streets to celebrate the title. One key piece of the championship was missing though with Justin Verlander in Italy marrying Kate Upton while the parade was going on.
- WITH another six teams on a bye Week 9 in the NFL saw just 13 games played. We are starting to get a clear picture of which teams are legit now with the New Orleans Saints (6-2), Los Angeles Rams (6-2) and Philadelphia Eagles (8-1) all winning to stay atop their NFC divisions. Kansas City, who started the season 5-0 wasn’t as lucky, with their third loss in their last four games at the hands of the Cowboys.
- THE biggest story from the weekend wasn’t the actual football though and it wasn’t to do with anthem protests either. A.J. Green and Jalen Ramsey found themselves ejected after an altercation in the second quarter of the Jaguars/Bengals game. Ramsey pushed Green over and the Cincinnati wideout bounced to his feet and started swinging before the pair were separated.
- FORMER Browns receiver Josh Gordon is attempting a comeback with the league temporarily reinstating him on a conditional basis. Gordon battled drug and substance abuse and served multiple suspensions with his last match coming back in 2014. He will report to the Browns training facility sometime next week.
- THERE is a manager change at West Ham after starting the Premier League season with two wins from 11 games. David Moyes will take over for Slaven Bilić who has been at the Hammers since June of 2015, recording 42 wins 30 draws and 39 losses.
- IN UEFA Champions League action Tottenham delivered a famous victory, defeating Real Madrid 3-1 in Wembley a week ago. Dele Alli scored twice and Christian Eriksen also found the back of the net to help the Spurs seal qualification for the Champions League knockout stages.